Siying Duan is a postdoc fellow at School for the Contemporary Arts, Simon Fraser University. Her research interest focuses mainly on the study of media arts from a perspective of Chinese Aesthetics. She has earned her Ph.D. in Art Theory at Shanghai Film Academy, Shanghai University. She is also the producer of the podcast channel “Elephant says” at the platform Creative Disturbance and the editor of the bilingual journal Critical Theory.
Siying has visited the University of California, Irvine (UCI), University of Manchester and University College Cork (UCC). She has been served as board member for Body of Knowledge conference and has reviewed a manuscript for Leonardo journal. Her publications include several articles on Chinese Media Art research, comparative aesthetics, and art psychology.
New Media Arts, Chinese Aesthetics, Comparative Aesthetics
Research Projects & Academic Exchanges
·2015~2016 Media Art Installation Study, Funded by Abroad Program of Chinese Scholarship Council (CSC)
Studio Art, Department of Art at University of California, Irvine, Irvine, US
·2014summer Digital Art & Technology Study, Funded by Short-term Abroad Program of Shanghai University Scholarship
University College Cork, Cork, Ireland
University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
·2011~2012 Cultural Exchange, Office of Chinese Language Council International
Department of History at Bogazici University, Istanbul
·2011~2013 Independent Music in China Study, Innovation Grant of Shanghai University
Department of Liberal Arts, Shanghai University
·2017 Living system: Rethinking “System Aesthetics” in New Media installation, Visual Culture, New Media and Contemporary Arts Forum, Shanghai University, China
·2016 From Harmony to Intensity: the Reconstruction of “Body” in Chinese New Ink Art, A Body of Knowledge: Embodied Cognition and the Arts Conference, University of California, Irvine, US
·2016 Identity Crisis and Morphological Change in Chinese New Ink Art, Culture, Communication and Cross-media Arts Studies Forum, Shanghai University, China
·2013 Recent Aesthetic Tendency of Contemporary Chinese Art Practices, Mental Conditions of Contemporary Era Forum, Shanghai Academy of Social Sciences, China
·2010 Pop Music and its Musical “Image”, Second-best Paper Award, Cultural heritage and innovation Postgraduate Student Forum, Shanghai University, China
Social Activity & Volunteer Experience:
Confucious Institute at Bogazici University Sept. 2011 – June 2012
·Teacher of Elementary Chinese
Service of volunteer students for Western China Program Sept. 2008 – June 2009
Honors & Awards
·2013~2014 Fourth-best National Academic Scholarship
·2011~2012 Innovation Grant of Shanghai University
·2006~2007 Endeavour Award at Shanghai University
·2004~2006 Second-best Excellent Scholarship at Shanghai University for twice
Publications and Exhibitions
· Siying Duan, Rethinking the Idea of Consciousness from the Perspective of Heideggerian AI, Exploration and Free Views. 2019（2）
· Siying Duan, The “Waning of Affect” and Fredric Jameson’s idea of “Affect”, China Book Review. 2018（4）
· Siying Duan, Situation, Context and “Jing(境)” in Contemporary Digital Performance, New ARTS. 2017（10）
· Siying Duan, A Critical Review of the New Media Art Research in China, Journal of Yunmeng. 2015（1）
· Siying Duan, A Comparative Study of “Qi(气)” in Chinese “Shanshui(山水)” and “Tension” in Western landscape, Chinese Aesthetic Study. 2014（4）
· Siying Duan, Independent Music in Shanghai and its Cultural Value. Shanghai Culture. 2011 (6)
·Siying Duan, “Tension” in Henri Cartier-Bresson’s photographs. Meiyuan. 2010 (5)
· Simon Penny, Siying Duan(Trans.), Desire for Virtual Space: the Technological Imaginary in 1990s Media Art, Journal of Shanghai University(Social Sciences Edition). 2017(3).
·Jun Zeng, Siying Duan, Report on Shanghai’s Cultural Foreign Trade 2014, In China National Center for Cultural Studies (eds), Report on China’s Cultural Foreign Trade 2014, Social Sciences Academic Press 2014.
·Tian Miao, Siying Duan, The Psychological Value of Arts, In Jun Zeng, Jinming Deng(eds), The Psychology of Arts in New Century. 2014.